Parent Page: Government id: 51 Active Page: City Council id:91

City Council

City Council Members:

The City of Newcastle is governed by a council-manager form of government.

The City Council consists of 5 council members, elected from 4 wards (districts) of the City and one at-large council member. The Mayor and Vice-Mayor are chosen when a new council is elected. The Mayor is head of the city government for all ceremonial purposes, and should the need arise, is the government head for purposes of military law. He has no regular administrative duties other than in signing written obligations of the City as the Council may require.

Council Members also make up the Public Works Authority, Risk Management Board and Economic Development Authority.

Except as otherwise noted in the City Charter, all powers of the City are vested in the City Council.

Among other things, the Council has power:

  • To appoint and remove the City Manager;
  • By ordinance to enact municipal legislation;
  • To raise revenue and make appropriations, and to regulate bond elections, the issuance of bonds, sinking funds, refunding indebtedness, salaries and wages, and all other fiscal affairs of the city;
  • To inquire into the conduct of any office, department, or agency of the city government, and investigate municipal affairs;
  • To appoint, elect, or remove members of the Planning Commission, Board of Adjustment, and other quasi-legislative, quasi-judicial, or advisory officers and authorities;
  • To grant pardons for violations of the charter and ordinances, including the remission of fines and costs;
  • To regulate elections, the initiative and referendum, and recall;
  • To regulate the organization, powers, duties, and functions of the municipal court;
  • To create, change, and abolish all offices, departments, and agencies of the city government other than those created by the City Charter, and to assign additional powers, duties, and functions to those created by the Charter.

Each member serves a four-year term and must live in the ward they represent.

Please click on the Ward Map to view the location of your property.

Should you need to contact a member of the City Council, please call the City Hall (405) 387-4427 to leave a message.